Thursday, September 12, 2013

Spanarabglish

Native Arabic speakers...
More and more my ears are beginning to tune to the sounds of Arabic. Bits of conversation and sporadic words have started to actually make sense to me. 1% down only 99% to go.

Prior to Arabic studies I had taken classes in Spanish. I'm not sure that having a history like that is helpful at this point. You see, I seem to be mixing all the current languages that I know into one new language. For instance, if I can't think of the correct Arabic word for something, I'll insert a Spanish one.

A waiter asked me if we were doing all right during our meal. I said, "Yes. Kwyees. Gracias." (An English "yes," an Arabic "good" and a Spanish "thank you.") Sometimes it's not that obvious. I won't know the correct preposition or conjunction in Arabic so I'll just add "en el" or "en la" or "con" and call it good.

The corker is that I don't realize I'm doing this until Emileigh and Aria begin smiling. I look at them and know I've just done something wrong. They pat my arm and assure me that I'll get it.

I hope so...otherwise I'm going to have to look for a very unique country to live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! As soon as I confirm you're not a robot, your insights will be posted!