Friday, September 20, 2013

Tarek Tours


A couple notes ago I mentioned that our adoptive taxi driver, Tarek, had a few places around the neighborhood that he wanted us to experience. The first place stop was a grocery store. It was, indeed, a nice one and I was glad for the opportunity to add it to my shopping repertoire. The second place that Tarek wanted to take John was to get a haircut.

About a month ago, John had his hair trimmed at the Nile Hilton. This was the same place I recently received my new Julie Andrews look. However, when the guy cut John's hair he came out looking like...well, John. Tarek thought that John might want to go to the same barber that he did. John looked at Tarek's well-styled hair and decided that it was worth a shot. 

After class on Thursday, our taxi waited for us outside ILI (International Language Institute). He reviewed our notes from class and practiced our new verbs with us all the way to our flat. I got out of the taxi and waved to them both as they headed to the barber. I began preparing lunch and waited for the outcome. 

Sidebar: In language class that day we had discussed careers. The careers included barbers. Our teacher told us that the barbers that she has taken her son to "has no style." They just cut it really short so she takes him to a female hair stylist. John should have paid closer attention.

The girls and I ate lunch and I began to look at my watch wondering how long a cut could possibly take. Our front door opened and John walked in. He rounded the corner and stopped.

"Well, what do you think?" he asked.

"I...uh...wow. That is really short." I said as I ran my hair over the short little bristles.

He told me that the barber started out shaving the sides which is how he normally gets it cut. He said he looked away for just a minute when BAM the shaver went right down the center of his head. Any recovery was no longer an option. The rest of the hair had to follow this new 1/4" length.

So now my Little Chia Head will not need a haircut for several weeks...maybe months. After the great "Head Shaving" the barber wanted 40 LE. John didn't comply. Tarek had told him to start at 20 LE and not to go over 30 LE. John held his ground and handed the man 30 LE.

John decided next time he'll pay the extra and go to the Nile Hilton guy who had "style." 

We aren't sure what else Tarek has on his "must do" list, but we know that it will never be dull. Maybe he'll help us find a pharmacy so John can buy some SPF 50 sunscreen for his new pink head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! As soon as I confirm you're not a robot, your insights will be posted!