Friday, October 18, 2013

Bananas Over Our Girls


First published March 12, 2009


Pam needs to get milk, bananas and yogurt.

Pam walks with Aria to neighborhood store #1. No items in stock, but buys bread to keep the relationship good and to practice Arabic. Aria directs me to the next store.

We continue down the street to store #2. No items in stock. Didn't buy anything because the teen was on the phone and didn't care that we were there. Aria said she and Emileigh have a goal to make that boy greet them one time before we leave Cairo.


She turns right and walks a little ways down the street. Store #3 has all three items, but Aria informs me that we don't buy bananas from this one.

We make our purchases and begin the walk back. We cross the street to Store #4. This one has fresh bananas hanging off the stalk at the entrance. The man smiles broadly and greets Aria. Apparently she's been here before. She expertly tells him in Arabic that we need a kilo of bananas. He pulls out a machete and hacks off just the right amount. She pays him and waves goodbye.

As we complete our walk back to the flat, I tell Aria how proud I am of her for being able to navigate all those stores to find what we need. She says, "Hey, when you go on as many errands as we have, you learn some stuff."

Not exactly the answer I was expecting, but I had to chuckle. With every adjustment I've had to make in learning to live in Cairo, our two girls have had to do the same. They've been amazing in their attitudes and eagerness to experience the people and culture.

So I went for a few groceries and came back with a new depth of appreciation for our daughters who are willing to follow hard after Jesus rather than tag along on their parents' faith.

It's true. I'm bananas over these girls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! As soon as I confirm you're not a robot, your insights will be posted!