Monday, October 28, 2013

Pinball Pam


Cairo offers a variety of transportation modes within the city. Taxis, buses, "flying coffins," an occasional donkey cart and the Metro, a type of subway system. The traffic becomes more and more congested as the day progresses so most Cairenes choose the reliability of the subway. 

We've ridden many times now since arriving and have the stops, correct trains and directions figured out. We have also discovered the times of day that are most crowded. The trouble is that we can't do anything about that. We, along with everyone else, need to be at certain places at certain times just as they do. So we join the masses and catapult ourselves on and off at the right stops.

The problem I have is the starting and stopping procedure once I'm on the train. Usually we will bustle shoulder to shoulder with the other people and ride on the coed train. You have to be quick or the doors will shut and you'll be waiting for the next one. So we try to nicely but hockey playeresque get on the train and look for a railing or loop to hold onto.

Sometimes this is a problem because the overhead loops are all taken and the side rails are covered in men. This means that the fam has to form somewhat of a "human chain." John finds a loop. I grab his other arm. Emileigh takes hold of mine and Aria attaches to Emileigh. 

One day on the train it was especially crowded. Sardines could say that they had spacious accommodations compared to our situation. We looked around for something to hold onto, but couldn't because there were so many people. I looked around and noticed that there were only men around that day which makes it extra tricky.

The key is not to bump or touch anyone especially if your a female. So I was acutely aware of my need to be proper. I took a stance like that of a surfer and waited for the lurch of the train. The other 3 family members apparently have incredible inner ear health because they had no problems. I, on the other hand, fell onto John and Emileigh. They kept their balance and pushed me back into place.

The train finally caught it's rhythm and I was doing well. The problem came at the next stop. The doors opened and more men piled on. We only thought it was crowded before. Now there's exactly 5 mm of personal space left.

The doors closed and pulled out of the station. For a split second, I forgot my surfer-like stance and fell forward. This time John and Emileigh were not there. I bounced into one man and tried to correct myself. The train turned and made me veer left which caused me to ricocheted off two more men. My apologies couldn't be made because I overcompensated and fell back into two more unsuspecting victims.

Finally, I was able to right myself and look into the face of my family. They all had their jaws dropped and each grabbed ahold of me. I couldn't even look up. I was mortified. I was a human pinball machine.

The train finally stopped and we needed to disembark. I quickly, without making eye contact, stepped off the train. The other three looked at each other and began to laugh and laugh and laugh.

I laughed, too. It was pretty funny when you thought about it. Now when we get on the train, I don't even have to ask. Each family member grabs my arm and maintains contact the entire ride. They don't want to risk me making "extra points" and earning a "bonus game." I think all the other passengers would agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! As soon as I confirm you're not a robot, your insights will be posted!