Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Happy Love Feast!

First published February 14, 2009


By nature, I am prone to make events for any reason. I simply love them. I love the planning, the listmaking, the search for themes, food, decorations...ahhhhh.....

I packed some essentials in our totes for moments just like these...red tablecloth for Christmas or Valentine's, birthday tablecloth that reverses to Christmas, Easter baskets and grass, various strings of lights, candles, papers and things to string about. My daughters laughed and said, "When Martha Stewart Moves to Egypt."

The first holiday since arriving in Cairo is Valentine's Day. I didn't know if that was something that they would even celebrate, but I looked for clues. In the US, they begin decorating for Valentine's on Dec. 26th. I was walking around town yesterday (Feb. 11) and they were just starting to put up decorations for it in some places.

In Arabic class I asked my teacher if Egyptians celebrated this day. She said that they do little by little more every year. Our German friend piped up and said, "Vee do not celebrate dis in Chermany." I smiled and said, "Does your girlfriend know this?"

So I began formulating a plan to celebrate this day of love one way or the other with our new friends whether they wanted to or not. (This isn't new. I've had many a people sucked into the vortex of Pam's Celebrations in the US as well. Just ask some of them...)

There are 5 girls in our class and 5 guys. What would girls want for a special occasion? Flowers. What would guys want? Food. Okay. That was easy. I had made friends with the corner flower vendor and knew he could help me. I went and picked out peppermint carnations (one of my favorites) and had him add greenery to each one and wrap them individually. He carefully tied each one with a pink curling ribbon.

Emileigh stopped at the bakery after language class and picked up a kilo of chocolate croissants. These are little bits of heaven in a bag. Now it's all coming together.

I had asked my teacher after class how to write, "Happy Valentine's Day" in Arabic. She wrote it for me on the whiteboard and explained that they don't actually use those words, but rather say "Happy Love Feast" (see included graphic written by moi'.). Ahhhhhh, a male dominated society would probably want the emphasis to be on the food portion of the celebration thus explaining...(Any other guys thinking the same thing?)

So on Thursday our last day of class before Valentine's Day, I packed my bag full of celebration and headed to class. John smiled at me knowing that this was my way of making friends and he's come to appreciate the benefits that these moments bring. 

Everyone filed into class and I set a flower in front of each girl and wished her a "Happy Valentine's Day." Of course, girls do what girls do and began to "oooo" and "aaaah." I told the guys that I didn't bring them flowers, but rather food and I would give it to them when we had a break. Class began and we worked hard. At break time, I placed a chocolate croissant at each chair. They were all grateful and even the German smiled a bit. 

Our friend, Nick, (who's the 60ish Nat.Geo. looking guy) said, "I don't believe I've ever received anything for Valentine's Day before." I almost gave him a hug and cried for him, but I refrained.

We all wished each other a "Happy Love Feast" and then continued on with class. Who could imagine even a year ago that God would give us opportunity to show kindness to such a diverse group of people? I'm so grateful. Now I need to start thinking about St. Patrick's Day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! As soon as I confirm you're not a robot, your insights will be posted!