Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Great Pyramids



First published February 18, 2009



 A few days ago I posted some photos from one of the most amazing Valentine's Days I've ever had. Even if it hadn't been a holiday, it would have still been in the Top 5 of Life. Our family had opportunity to visit the Great Pyramids in Egypt. Even better was the fact that some of our dear friends were with us...(the proverbial cherry on top).

We called our friend, Mahmud, to arrange transportation. This is the first friend that we ever made in Egypt. He was the first smiling face who greeted us, took our luggage and drove us to our hotel. He also arranged the Nile Cruise, but we have chosen to overlook that part.

So John called him and he arranged for a van to come pick us up at our flat. Our driver arrived right on time the next morning; we piled in excited and ready to go. My family was giving me a bit of a hard time because I insisted on bringing some necessary items for pyramid visits.

-Wet Wipes (2 for each person)
-Charmin to Go (2 rolls: 1 for girls and 1 for boys)
-Hand sanitizer
-Bottles of water
-Sunglasses
-Lip gloss
-Small bills for any purchases

These items were neatly tucked in a stylish, over-the-shoulder bag since I have a firm rule against fanny packs.

The pyramids are on the outskirts of Cairo in an area called Giza (GEE-zuh). Opportunities to spend your dollars were everywhere as we drove through the narrow streets leading to the entrance of the site. Our driver stopped in front of D & I Stables. We were promptly greeted by a man and ushered into a small room with bench seats. He offered us tea or Bepsi (Pepsi). We declined and braced ourselves for the shpiel. He had a map of the historical site made out of wood. He pointed to the pyramids, the Sphinx and a couple hills. This tour could all be ours from high atop a camel or horse which he could provide for a low, low price.

Negotiations began and John finally settled on a price. We paid him and he said he would go prepare the animals. He mentioned that there was a bathroom upstairs that we could use if we wanted to...then he apologized that it was "a bit dirty." 

"A bit dirty" didn't really begin to describe the condition of the room. If I hadn't been deeply concerned about the Diet Coke that I had ingested 30 minutes earlier I wouldn't have considered it. I went in and asked Aria to hold the door. I pulled out my handy-dandy Wet Wipes and went to work cleaning as best I could. (Laugh at me now, Family....)

We returned downstairs with hand sanitizer still drying on our hands when we were introduced to our guide. He was an energetic young Egyptian man named Hisham who told us that he was going to make sure we had a good trip.

John was already outside on top of a gigantic camel. I laughed and saw that "my" camel was kneeling in preparation for me to hop on. Let's just say that I'm very glad there isn't any video available revealing me and the camel trying to get in sync to get moving--not pretty.

The other 4 in our party had horses. It seems that our friend had been on a camel before and she had suggested that we travel with horses in order to switch out throughout the trek. (I would discover this was a FABULOUS idea.)

We all got in line on our respective beasts o' burden and were led by 2 young boys holding the reins. We marched through the streets past uninterested locals until we arrived at the entrance of the site. A policeman of sorts was there to inspect us and our bags. Everyone had to dismount, but our guide pleaded my case and allowed the camel riders to stay put. I was very grateful and I think he was, too. He was the one who had to help me on the camel in the first place.

They absconded John and Emileigh's pocket knives and told them that they would be at D & I Stables when we return. Seriously, what did they think they were going to do out in the desert with the knives? Anyway, we made a note not to forget them.

Our guide led us up the path into a completely desolate desert scene. I had a square of white cloth shoved into my hands and a black circular head wrap. It was from a vendor who thought we would all like to look like Lawrence of Arabia as we rode through the desert. I gave it back and declined his offer.

We continued around a corner and to our shock saw a dead horse on the right side of the path. I'll save the graphic description, but the circling vultures and ferrel dogs give you an idea of its condition. We were proud that Aria didn't throw up at such a sight and hurried on.

Hisham led us to a hill and asked us all to dismount. I was extremely happy about this. I'm not sure about all camels, but this one seemed particularly lumpy. The guide and the two young boys gathered on all sides of me as the camel flung forward and then back until he came to rest on his haunches. If it hadn't been me causing the fright in their eyes it would have been quite funny. I hung on, but I didn't give the appearance of a woman in control of her camel. I managed to get off just as my friend announced, "Ha ha! I got THAT on video!" (Why did I bring her along?!)

We were all told to move in various poses as our guide snapped picture after picture of us with the Great Pyramids in the background. Since it was Valentine's Day I had also included a red heart-shaped pillow with the word, "LOVE" on it to include in the photos. I made each person pose with it in at least one picture. They were good sports and accommodated the romantic, crazy woman camel rider. 


After each picture our guide would say, "You are good? You are happy? No problems?" 

We would answer, "Aiwa. Aiwa. Kwyeesa." (Yes. Yes. I am good.)

A dark-skinned man in a turban walked with a donkey in our direction. He pulled out a bottle of cold Bepsi and handed it to me. Before I could say no he flipped off the lid and it immediately became mine. He did it two more times until he got to John. John folded his hands behind his back and told him, "La. La. La." (No. No. No.) The man laughed and tried to give it to someone else. I paid him for the opened sodas, turned and gave them to the young boys who were guiding our caravan.

We talked the girls into riding the camels this time and we were off to view the pyramids close up. We were allowed to walk to the small pyramid and touch the stones. I stood and thought about the thousands of slaves who worked to create this monument, the years and resources required to build this last of the Seven Ancient Wonders. I was awestruck, moved and reminded of God's faithfulness to a suffering people.

By this time, our hour long tour had almost stretched to 2 and our guide got a phone call from his boss telling him to move us along. The last leg of the journey gave our friends a chance to ride the camels. I still remained happy on a low-sitting horse. Once we arrived at the Great Sphinx, he didn't have us pose or even dismount. He was anxious to get us back and make his boss happy so we snapped a few pictures and made our way back to the stable.


We thanked our guide and reminded him that his fee was already paid at the beginning. He had not so subtly told us that he should get a good sum more. John held fast. Hisham gave us a disappointed look, but knew we were right. We did tip the boys with us and retrieved the two pocket knives.

Our driver was waiting for us and prepared to take us from a dusty, ancient land into a modern, air-conditioned van. I was thrilled. Once again the Wet Wipes, hand sanitizer and water came out. I wasn't the only one using them either. We returned to the flat thoroughly thrilled and humbly grateful for such an opportunity. Well, except for maybe the camel part...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! As soon as I confirm you're not a robot, your insights will be posted!