Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Bleckkkkkkkkkkkkkkh!


First published January 28, 2009



I guess I knew it was coming. Everyone warned me about it. I even have books that will help me navigate these new waters of emotions. Fancy books that have titles, sub-titles and italicized words that help define the feelings of the newly transplanted person. 

I've been keeping a mental checklist wondering, "Does this feel normal?" "Is this right?" "Am I plain nuts?" And so it goes. My friends have been checking in with me making sure that I'm transitioning okay. Truthfully, I am. I mean so far. It's only been 3 weeks, so I don't think that "I must be on vacation" feeling has left yet. 

I could tell a shift was coming when I needed to go to the store and pick up some bottles of water. I thought to myself, "Bleckkkkkkh! I don't want to have to go and get stupid water. I want the water in the faucet to be drinkable. I want the stupid faucet on the stupid sink not to leak. I want the stupid sink not to be in such a tiny, stupid kitchen." 

Whoooooaaaaa! Where did that come from? I paused and pondered. I think this is culture shock. Well, actually the part of culture shock that comes after the "shock" wears off. (Severe statements and unreasonable anger were under the "normal" category in one of those very fancy books.)

Okay. Now we're getting somewhere. I said a prayer and adjusted my very poor attitude. Yes, I still need to get water, but Egyptians here need water every day, too. They look to replenish their thirst and only come home with more bottles of clear liquid. We are here to give them what they need. So that means I need to get outside the apartment, learn the language, buy some water and build relationships. Maybe as we share bottles of water, very soon we will exchange truth about Living Water. Lord, let it be so.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! As soon as I confirm you're not a robot, your insights will be posted!