Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Crack of Dawn


First published January 22, 2009


I’ve mentioned in earlier notes that one of the biggest adjustments that I’ve had to make is moving from a relatively quiet location to a bustling city street. Each night long after we’ve turned in, the cacophony of horns, whistles and calls begins. Usually around 2 am the city begins to settle down and gives those taxis a much-needed rest.

We ease into mornings with a heart-stopping jolt at 5 am. The call to prayer begins. Some mullahs are extremely punctual and begin right at 5. Others want to get a jumpstart and begin at 10 minutes til. Still others are slow risers (what I like to call the “snooze alarm”) and begin 15 minutes late. Whenever it starts, I am usually in quite a deep sleep and as much as I try to mentally prepare myself for it when I go to bed I am never quite ready.

Immediately my eyes pop open and my heart races as I look around the room trying to figure out why an ambulance is driving through our bedroom. Once I come to my senses I realize what’s going on and I grab my iPod, put in my earbuds and begin singing songs to Jesus.

If it’s not Friday, the call usually lasts no more than 20-30 minutes. Fridays tend to inspire the mullahs and they may read their entire sermon over the loud speaker for those who may think of sleeping in and not going to mosque.

I will doze off again since 5 am hasn’t ever been a start time for me and wait for the second “call.” One morning as I was lying in bed I heard a rooster crow. I paused and waited a moment. He crowed again. I woke John up and asked him if he heard it. He listened and said that if it is a rooster he’s about 3 hours late.

Somewhere in this metropolis of 20 million, a rooster crows. He’s out of place, out of sync--but he’s making his presence known. Now we listen for him each morning anticipating his call.

I guess our family is like that little rooster. We’re out of place, out of sync, but little by little we’re making His presence known. Maybe only a few hear it, but we pray that more and more will come to anticipate His call.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! As soon as I confirm you're not a robot, your insights will be posted!