Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Emileigh's Beauty Salon

First published January 29, 2009


A few months back when we began to prepare for our departure to Africa, I was reminded by my hair stylist that I would need to get a plan about follicle maintenance. I gasped. She's right. I am of the age when my hair no longer retains its original hue ("gray" is such an ugly word.)

So over the next few visits we began discussing possibilities.

"Are there salons where you are going?" she would ask.


"I don't know," I replied.


"Can you get hair dye there?"


"I don't know that either."


"What do you know?"


"Not much."


At my last visit before departure, she gave my two teenage girls a quick tutorial for applying dye to my hair. Then she gave me 2 months worth of chemicals with instructions. I gave her a hug (big hug) and thanked her for all her years of miracle-working.


Fast forward 6 weeks and we now find ourselves in Cairo with unsightly roots--a reproach in any culture. So I declared, "Tonight, is Beauty Salon Night!"


Emileigh said, "Is it for real? You've said that for the last four nights." "I mean it this time. My parfait hair cannot abide another day."


I went and got the bag o' chemicals and mixed like a mad scientist. I handed the bowl and brush to Emileigh. I donned the lovely albeit unconventional cape and waited for her to work her magic.


She methodically began painting my head like a decoupage project. About 20 minutes in I reminded her that the dye begins to do its work the second it's on my head so step it up. She waved her brush and me and told me that she was working as fast as she could.


She finished up and Aria snapped pictures knowing that this would be great blackmail material in years to come.


I waited around 30 minutes for all of the "cherry cola paste" to do its stuff. I rinsed and dried my hair.


"Woo hoo! My hair looks normal. Emileigh, you did it! You did it!" She smiled at my announcement and quickly updated her FB status with the results.


I exhaled and was truly grateful. Grateful for the little scientist who sat in a lab and created just the right color. Grateful to have friends that care about little things that feel big. Grateful for daughters who understand what sharing life means. Just grateful.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! As soon as I confirm you're not a robot, your insights will be posted!