Friday, July 26, 2013

Revolution

First published February 2, 2011

Living in the prairie grass, metaphorically speaking...


"Prairie Fire" is the term I've been hearing on different news networks to describe the unrest throughout the Middle East and North Africa.  The "spark" of Tunisia's uprising has now spread throughout Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Jordan, Yemen and yes...our own S*dan (though currently quite small comparably).

To my amazement I discovered that Google and Twitter actually created a new form of communication (sophisticated voicemail system) so that those demonstrating in Egypt and beyond can continue to get news out without the help of the internet. 

What was the trigger in Tunisia that set these events in motion?  What was the "tipping point" for all of this to align?  Frankly, I don't know. I can't answer, but still it makes me wonder.

Any time I look at a task, job, event or culture and think to myself, "Wow.  That is insurmountable.  There is no way.  One person can't..."  I will remember this time when governments looked impenetrable and cultures immovable.  One spark can clear acres, even miles of prairie grass. 

True, I am only one person in a country where I am clearly the minority everything.  What possible difference could I make?  I could live here all my remaining days and not visibly see the "fruit of my labor."  But still I continue in hope.  Hope that my feeble attempts, social missteps, sincere love and most importantly the proclamation of Jesus might some day become the burning ember that ignites a revolution in people's hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! As soon as I confirm you're not a robot, your insights will be posted!