Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Fam in Cairo--Day 3


First published January 3, 2009

It's barely Day 3 but I couldn't sleep so I thought I should go ahead and give updates while this is still riveting information. One day, you'll log on and think, "Why in the world am I fascinated about Pam purchasing a hairdryer?" Then the thrill will be gone, but until then...

I had gone to bed early (around 8 pm) because I just couldn't keep my eyes open. Around midnight I jolted awake and began hearing a series of car horns from the street below. John noticed that the horns have a series of chords that they play--occupational hazard. Once an angry Arabic woman began yelling at someone I knew that I probably wouldn't be going back to sleep very soon...so here I am.

It's around 4 or 5 pm in Springfield and someone must be getting ready to FB. I've noticed that I check to see what time it is "back home" and wonder when I'll stop doing that and start referring to this place as "home." Just a little self-psychology going on...Several friends reassure me that I am acting and feeling normal. Only after 2 months should I seek help if I'm still muttering to myself and am up prowling at night.

Our first day of exploration went well. We began walking the neighborhood and felt quite safe doing it. We were all dressed in Muslim approved clothing and began our trek to find:  1) a blowdryer that works with the electricity here; 2) a diet Coke; 3) a new Arabic word to learn and 4) find our way back to the hotel.

After walking a ways, we thought a taxi ride might be better since we had NO idea where we were going. He drove, zigzagged and I think became airborn as he dropped us in the middle of a bustling shopping district. It must have been near several embassies because guards were everywhere. I stopped Aria from taking a picture of a policeman who had a gigantic gun at his side. Emileigh told me what kind it was and I gasped at her arsenal knowledge.

We walked for a while looking at little shops. One shop carried shampoos and conditioners. The girls made us stop because horror of all horrors their mother forgot to pack conditioner. So we made them raise their right hand and vow to use only a dime-sized portion during each use and paid the $5 for the tiny bottle.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed I stopped a nice looking lady and asked her where I could find a blowdryer. Thankfully she spoke some English and she was also able to interpret my charades imitating me blowdrying my hair. (Those who have traveled with me to foreign countries before know that this is a forte of mine.) She pointed and showed us a street to take. We did and came upon a Cairo "Wal-Mart." I was so happy. They had everything. Of course since it was close to the embassies we guessed that their prices were higher than usual, but we have no way of knowing. So we happily purchased a $50 blowdryer (no comments from those of you who know better) and a diet Coke.

We walked a bit more and found a store that sold irons. John bought one and asked the man what the word for "iron" was in Arabic. He said, "makwah." So that was our word for the day. We began saying it over and over. Then we began laughing because 4 westerners were walking down the streets of Cairo muttering, "iron, iron, iron, iron." Weird but necessary portions of adjustment, I think. (I'll tell you in 2 months.)

A Thai restaurant is also near our hotel so we ate dinner there. We all agreed that we can exist in a place that has such incredible Asian food.

Now I believe I will once again attempt to sleep. It is chilly here (50ish degrees) and does require a blanket at night. It seems the rest of the 20 million in this city may have decided to settle down for the evening, too. No more yelling and only a few horns blaring. Sleep, sweet sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! As soon as I confirm you're not a robot, your insights will be posted!